Income tax tips for your 2016 income tax return

Printer-friendly version

It’s that time of year again…Income Tax Return time!

Please note:

For information on how to claim the interest that you're paying on your student loan (OSAP), the income from scholarships, fellowships, bursaries and achievement prizes, research grants, moving expenses and other items, find instructions and tips at the following websites:

For information on free online tax filing:

Free income tax clinics:

Please note that some of these services may start in early March, but it's never too early to start thinking about it if you're getting a refund.

UTAPS and Income Tax Returns
Please note that if you have received a T4A for your UTAPS and you are a Full-time student you do NOT need to declare it on your income tax return. For more information please see information on Scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, study grants, and artists' project grants (awards).

Wondering whether you'll get your money in a lump sum? Are you getting a refund, a credit? What is the Ontario Trillium Benefit? Find the answers to these questions and calculate how much you could get back at Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Please note:
The above tips/information are meant to provide a helpful guide to commonly used tax credits and benefits only. For more information on these or other credits offered by the federal government, contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly at or by calling the automated Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999 or the individual enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281.