Loans and Other Aid

Printer-friendly version

Loans for Ontario Students (OSAP)

Loans for Out-of-Province Students

University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students (UTAPS)

UTAPs for Residents of Other Provinces and Territories

Graduate Students' Emergency Loan Fund


Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

Canada Student Loans Plan

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may qualify for assistance under OSAP, provided that they also satisfy the Ontario residence requirements as outlined in the Program brochure and that they demonstrate financial need.

The Canada Student Loans Plan is designed for those students who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who can demonstrate financial need but are not otherwise eligible for assistance under OSAP.

Online application forms are available in the early spring for the following academic session. Applications should be forwarded to the institution which the student plans to attend. 

Out-of-Province Students

If you are an out-of-province student attending the iSchool at the University of Toronto and wish to apply for government funding, you need to apply through your home province. Please click below for information about your government's financial aid programs, policies and procedures.

If you need assistance during your studies at the iSchool, your first stop is the Registrar's office and/or the Financial Aid office for the university.

If your province mails the documents to the university to be released to you, please wait until you hear from Student Services at the iSchool for information on how and when these are distributed to students.

For further information on federal funding programs, online tools, financial assistance estimator, how to budget, repayment estimator etc., visit the following website: CanLearn

University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students (UTAPS)

University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students (UTAPS) is a financial aid program for full time students. You are eligible to apply for UTAPS if you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (recognized convention refugee) and will be enrolled full-time in an eligible program for the fall and winter semesters.

  • UTAPs are assessed by the office of Admissions and Awards/OSAP (172 St. George Street) and they notify us when this takes place. We in turn notify you. This usually happens in early November.
  • Ontario residents: You are automatically assessed for UTAPs when you apply for OSAP.
  • Second year students are eligible for UTAPs.
  • Examples of students not eligible to receive UTAPs include:
    • Students who applied for, but were not awarded OSAP
    • Disabled students who are registered part-time
    • Students on probation not receiving OSAP
    • International students
  • If you qualified for OSAP, you may still not qualify for UTAPs, but most student qualify for both. Student Services doesn't know who does and who doesn’t until mid-November.
  • Out of province students who are receiving government loans (BC Aid, Quebec, etc.) must apply via a paper application. Please note the deadline to submit an application is November 30. Please see below for more details.
  • Student Services will pass on any information as it is made available by Admissions and Awards.

UTAPS for Residents of Other Provinces and Territories

Effective for 2014-2015 out of province students can apply for UTAPS funding through a new on-line process. Paper applications are no longer available. Students will complete their electronic application and upload it along with their Notice of Assessment from their province/territory.
The on-line application will close on November 30, 2014.
Enrolment Services will be emailing all out of province students to advise them of the on-line UTAPS application.

The application can be found at the U of T web site under UTAPS Application Procedure for Current U of T Students > Residents of Other Provinces and Territories:

Graduate Students' Emergency Loan Fund

This emergency loan fund has been established in SGS to assist full-time students to meet unexpected financial problems. Full information is available from the Secretary of SGS.